The mission of Lloyd Presbyterian Church is to faithfully learn of and witness to the transforming love and good news of Jesus Christ, making disciples through a multicultural congregation that stands for justice and peacefully resists poverty, racism, sexism, discrimination, and violence.
The church is believed to be named after abolitionist, William Lloyd Garrison. With support from missionaries and First Presbyterian Church of Winston Salem, Lloyd began as part of a national movement to establish African American Presbyterian churches after the Civil War.
The sanctuary was constructed by the congregation between 1890 and 1907. It is the oldest historically African American church worshiping in its original building and location in Forsyth County, North Carolina. It is the only example of carpenter-built Gothic architecture in Forsyth County. It was recognized as a historic site in 1998, and received a National Register of Historic Places designation.
Lloyd is a congregation of the Presbyterian Church (USA) and Salem Presbytery. The multicultural and multigenerational congregation shares the heritage of the Reformed Tradition and is ecumenical in Spirit.
See the articles below on Lloyd’s community involvement and history.